Educated at the University of Illinois College of Medicine on a full scholarship, Dr. Bernstein trained in Internal Medicine at Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center in Phoenix. He has served on the Executive Committee of the Medicine Department of Scottsdale Healthcare Shea. Dr. Bernstein has also served on the Board of Directors of the Arizona Medical Association and on the Board of Trustees of the American Medical Association.
Practicing Internal Medicine in Scottsdale since 1996, Dr. Bernstein has served as medical director for nursing homes and home health agencies, culminating in his selection to the Physicians Advisory Committee of Life Care Centers of America in 2000. He is the Arizona State delegate to the American Academy of Private Physicians and a Fellow of the American College of Physicians.
A believer in lifelong personal health, not only for his patients but also himself, Dr. Bernstein enjoys an active lifestyle with his family.
He was selected a “Top Doctor” in Phoenix Magazine, a “Top Physician” by the Consumers’ Research Council of America and a “Top Doctor” by Castle Connolly.
About My Practice
- Proactive preventive healthcare and wellness optimization: for adults, from puberty on up. We help you avoid the devastating, disabling effects of the epidemic of chronic illness our society’s lifestyles have created – heart attack, stroke, diabetes, cancer, arthritis and dementia.
Doctors of internal medicine focus on adult medicine and have had special study and training focusing on the prevention and treatment of adult diseases. At least three of their seven or more years of medical school and postgraduate training are dedicated to learning how to prevent, diagnose and treat diseases that affect adults.
Internists are sometimes referred to as the “doctor’s doctor,” because they are often called upon to act as consultants to other physicians to help solve puzzling diagnostic problems.Internists are equipped to deal with whatever problem a patient brings — no matter how common or rare, or how simple or complex. They are specially trained to solve puzzling diagnostic problems and can handle severe chronic illnesses and situations where several different illnesses may strike at the same time. They also bring to patients an understanding of wellness (disease prevention and the promotion of health), women’s health, substance abuse, mental health, as well as effective treatment of common problems of the eyes, ears, skin, nervous system and reproductive organs. (American College of Physicians)
My practice style is distinguished by my personalized approach. I look at all the aspects of your life (home, occupation, hobbies, social, dietary and activity habits, education, and where you have lived and traveled), because they all have an impact on your health and your health affects all the aspects of your life. In my practice, your doctor will really know you, and my staff will too!
- High-performance health: We will help you achieve your health and wellness goals — prepare for athletic events, academic and professional advancement, adventure travel and active retirement. We will teach you to understand your body better than you ever have previously.
- Annual comprehensive wellness evaluation and detailed action plan: complete physical examination by physician; functional fitness analysis; cognitive assessment; electrocardiogram; state of the art laboratory testing of your metabolism, nutrition, immune system, neurochemistry, allergies and inflammation. In addition to a thorough discussion of your results and action plan on the day of your annual evaluation, you will be given a written guide to take home with you.
- Diagnosis and management: the full spectrum of general health issues for adults, including endocrinology, allergy, cardiovascular, pulmonary, infectious, dermatological, hematologic, nutritional, musculoskeletal, neurological and emotional.
- Healthy lifestyle habit coaching: My certified physical trainer, licensed therapeutic massage therapist and I will guide you in therapeutic exercises, nutrition, sleep hygiene, stress management, and personal fitness (including weight management).
- Therapeutic massage: by my licensed massage therapist for pain relief, improved circulation, improved lymphatic function, increased range of mobility, easing muscle and joint stiffness, detoxification, relaxation, psychological benefits and increased overall well-being.
- Dermatology: I will take care of all your simple dermatologic needs including routine cryosurgery, skin biopsies and excisions of skin cancers using a cosmetically sensitive technique.
- Health care advocacy: I will assist and represent you in acquiring the best specialty care available when needed.
Dr. Bernstein’s Office
9458 E. Ironwood Square Dr.
Scottsdale, AZ 85258